Friday, December 25, 2015

The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson


Image result for the girl of fire and thorns

The Girl of Fire and Thorns
Author: Rae Carson
Lexile: 730
Length: 448 Pages
Genre: Fantasy
Awards: William C. Morris Debut Award FINALIST
Reading Ram Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars


                Elisa is a princess. She is also the bearer of a powerful stone called the Godstone, given by God Himself. (Oh, and it is in her stomach, probably her belly-button.) You would think that she would be cherished beyond belief, right? Wrong. Everyone looks down on her. Even her nursemaid Ximena. They treat her as if she is a small child. As if she is a useless waste of space. And she is 16 years old!!! So Elisa has turned to food for comfort, and now in addition to being looked down on, she is overweight. She is very insecure about herself, especially her weight, and the way people treat her just adds to the misery. But the thing is, she is extraordinarily smart! She has read all of the war books available to her. She is fluent in more than 1 language as well. People had no reason to treat her badly! Yet they did anyway. Then, on her 16th birthday, she is married of to the king of a neighboring country. Her time in the palace is short, for she is kidnapped by a people who need her help in winning a war. Elisa is changed on the inside and out, mentally and physically. She grows stronger, and becomes the true queen of the country.
                I loved this book so much. It was so deep, and it really touched me. It covered obesity and insecurity in teenagers and yet was still a fantasy book! I thought that it was very well written. Thankfully it is part of a series, so now I can read the rest of the book! Elisa sounds like a very real and relatable character. I really enjoyed reading it. I would only recommend this book only to 7th grade and up. It covers topics like being overweight, and insecurity. I don't think that a fifth-grader would truly be able to understand this book. You should seriously try this book out, it is amazing! It was so so so so good and you will love it if you are okay with these topics! And if you love a good fantasy story.

                        Hello Readers! I thank you for reading my blog all year. It has been awesome! Writing a blog about things I like, books! I read a lot, and I wanted to share some good book choices with the rest of the world. Well, I must tell you something. I am transferring ownership of this blog to another person. I have blogged on it for a year, and it is time to let somebody else share their favorite books with the world. Again, thank you for reading my blog. I have had a great time making it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment